Wednesday, May 30, 2012

DIY Home Sweet Home Art

Wednesday, May 30, 2012
After a solid 6 weeks of 12+ hours of studying, 7 days a week, I took my Step 1 medical boards yesterday and have officially come back to Blogland! I am exhausted, but ready for more crafting, cooking, and photography! Okay, onto the project...

While shopping at the Christmas Tree Shops a while back, I stumbled upon this great empty frame for less than $5! I couldn't pass up such a bargain and I figured I'd come up with some crafty use for it. Here you have it - Home Sweet Home!


I've been loving burlap and textured fabric lately, so I designed this "Home Sweet Home" art using some canvas, burlap, fabric paint, and printer paper.


To begin, I used Microsoft Word, selected my font for "home", and put it in outline mode to save ink. I used a different font for the word "sweet," and printed that in solid black.

Rather than cutting out every single letter and tracing them onto my canvas background, I rubbed the back of the printer paper with pencil lead. Then I placed the letters on the canvas and used a chopstick to trace around the printed outline. WAY faster than cutting and tracing, and it worked great!



Once both the "home" words were outlined on the canvas, I used a blue fabric paint to fill them in.


Next, I cut out the letters for the word "sweet" and carefully hot glued them onto my strip of burlap.


Finally, I added some burlap threads to the bottom of my picture and put it in the frame! Super easy and super affordable DIY wall art!

{For the tutorial on my hanging mason jar wall plant, go here!}



Linking up at


5 comments:

  1. Yyyyyaayyyyyyyyy YOU ARE DONE with your step 1!!! Good Job!!! Congrats, now get back to real life!!! I know how much step 1 stunk from my sister.... and I am just glad you survived and that you got right back to blogging and crafting! :o) I love your home sweet home sign! In fact I might just need one for those for my new place!!! :o) Congrats, Congrats, Congrats!
    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Jaime!! It feels SOOOOO GOOD to be done! Glad you like the little wall art! Love seeing the progress on your new place!! So many exciting changes!!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats & ENJOY your break!! I love, love, love this cute sign! You're very creative!! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kathy! I'm glad you like it! Super easy to do!! I'm loving the time off for a few days :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...